2017 Ford Escape SymbolsSome of the illustrations in this Ford Escape manual may show features as used in different models, so may appear different to you on your vehicle. We suggest always use and operate your vehicle
in line with all applicable laws and regulations.
2017 Ford Escape Guide
This manual may qualify the location of a component as left-hand side or right-hand side. The side is determined when facing forward in the seat. Upon starting your vehicle, you may see some of these indicators light up as a routine check to verify functionality.
Ford Escape Lamp Indicator
These lights may simply be indicating a vehicle control setting, e.g., Front Fog Lamps On. If certain indicators were to remain illuminated while your engine is running, however, they could be alerting you to a serious condition. To take the guesswork out of interpreting these signals, scroll down to our visual glossary, which displays the full array of Ford Escape warning lamp and indicator symbols, and defines their function.
2017 Ford Escape Warning Lamp Symbol Meaning
- Adaptive Cruise Control
- Speed control system indicator light changes color to show system mode:
- On (white light): illuminates when the adaptive cruise control system is turned on. Turns off when speed control system is turned off.
- Engaged (green light): illuminates when adaptive cruise control system is engaged (or actively in use); turns off when speed control system is disengaged.
- If Illuminated while you’re driving, a malfunction is indicated. The normal braking system (without ABS) will continue to function, unless the brake system warning lamp is also illuminated. Have the system checked by your authorized dealer.
- Illuminates to alert you when your engine is shutting down; a corresponding message may also be displayed.
- If Illuminated while you’re driving, a malfunction is indicated. Switch off all unnecessary electrical equipment, and have the system checked by your authorized dealer immediately.
- Illuminates when the Blind Spot Monitor feature is turned off; a corresponding message may also be displayed.
- Illuminates if parking brake is engaged while the ignition is on. If indicator lights up while you’re driving, check to ensure that parking brake is not engaged. If it isn’t engaged, a low brake fluid level or brake system malfunction could be indicated. Have the system checked immediately by your authorized dealer.
- Driving your vehicle with a warning lamp on is dangerous. A significant decrease in braking performance may occur. It could take you longer to stop your vehicle. Have your vehicle checked by your authorized dealer immediately. Driving extended distances with the parking brake engaged can cause brake failure and the risk of personal injury.
- lluminates when Cruise Control feature is turned on.
- Illuminates when left or right turn signal, or hazard warning flasher, is turned on. If indicator remains on or flashes faster, check for a burned out bulb.
- If indicator lights up when ignition is on, one of your doors is open.
- Lights up when electric parking brake has a malfunction.
- Illuminates when engine coolant temperature is high. Stop the vehicle as soon as possible, switch off engine and let cool.
- If illuminated while engine is running or you’re driving, a malfunction is indicated. Stop your vehicle as soon as it is safe to do so, and switch the engine off. Check the engine oil level.
- If you find that your engine oil is at the appropriate level, yet the warning lamp remains lit, do not resume driving. Have the system checked by your authorized dealer immediately.
- Lights up while a chime sounds to remind you to fasten your safety belt.
- A malfunction is indicated if this warning lamp fails to illuminate when you start your vehicle, continues to flash or remains on. Have the system checked by your authorized dealer.
- Illuminates when you switch the front fog lamps on.
- A horizontal array of red lights may appear on your windshield while you’re using adaptive cruise control and/or the collision warning system (if equipped). As a functionality check, this indicator will also light up momentarily when you start your vehicle.
- Illuminates when you switch the high beam headlamps on. This indicator will also flash when you use the headlamp flasher.
- Alerts when the ignition is on, and the hood is not completely closed.
- Lights up when the lane keeping system is activated.
- Illuminates when the fuel level is low, or the fuel tank is nearly empty. Refuel as soon as possible.
- Lights up when your tire pressure is low. This indicator also illuminates momentarily when you switch on the ignition, showing that the lamp is functional.
- If the indicator remains lit while the engine is running or you’re driving, check your tire pressure as soon as possible.
- If indicator does not illuminate when you switch the ignition on - or begins to flash at any time - have the system checked by your authorized dealer.
- Illuminates when you switch the parking lamps on.
- Illuminates when a powertrain or AWD fault has been detected. Contact your authorized dealer as soon as possible.
- If the Service Engine Soon indicator light stays lit after you’ve started the engine, the On Board
- Diagnostics system (OBD) has detected a malfunction of the vehicle emissions control system. Contact your authorized dealer as soon as possible.
- If indicator light is blinking, an engine misfire may be occurring, which could damage your catalytic converter. Drive in a moderate fashion (avoid heavy acceleration and deceleration), and have your vehicle serviced immediately. Under engine misfire conditions, excessive exhaust temperatures could damage the catalytic converter, the fuel system, interior floor coverings or other vehicle components, possibly causing a fire.
- Have an authorized dealer service your vehicle immediately.
- The Service Engine Soon indicator light illuminates when the ignition is first turned on (prior to engine start) in order to test the bulb, as well as indicate whether the vehicle is ready for Inspection / Maintenance (I/M) testing.
- Normally, the Service Engine Soon light will stay on until the engine is cranked, then turn itself off if no malfunctions are present.
- However, if after 15 seconds this light blinks eight times, it means that the vehicle is not ready for I/M testing.
- Lights up when the system is active.
- If indicator remains illuminated or does not light up when you switch the ignition on, a malfunction is indicated.
- During a malfunction, the system will switch off.
- Have the system checked by your authorized dealer immediately.
- Illuminates when you switch the system off. Indicator light will go out when you switch the system back on or switch the ignition off.
- Displays when the ignition is on, and the trunk is not completely closed.